We have all probably done it, and yet this doesn’t make it any better. Incorrectly using power strips is dangerous and can end up being a significant liability for a business. In a pinch, power strips can really save the day. While they are not our favorite way to gain some electrical access, nor are they the most effective. But honestly speaking, if you work in a shared commercial space, it seems you are going to end up needing a power strip (or two) eventually. Because of that, we want to help educate you on some simple ways to effectively and safely use these great little electrical tools!
PROPER POWER STRIP USE: SOME DO’S & DON’TS
We know, they seem pretty much plug and play. But the reality is that electrical fires are alarmingly common, and we don’t want you getting hurt or creating an unnecessary fire risk when you don’t have to! Don’t worry, these are all fairly simple; it’s just a bit of know-how that might save you some trouble down the road.
WHEN USING A POWER STRIP:
- Upgrade to surge protectors when possible. Keep in mind that a power strip simply splits your outlet, while a surge protector does the same, but adds protection for your appliances against potentially dangerous and damaging power surges. Surge protectors will do the same job, just safer.
- Make sure it’s rated correctly for your use. First, be sure it has enough plugs to accommodate your needs. And second, be sure it can handle the wattage you’re going to be putting into it. There are industrial strips, office strips, hospital strips, etc; make sure you get the right kind!
- Give them breathing room. Never cover power strips, or cords for that matter, with cloth or fabric. They can get hot enough to start a fire, which is of course something you’d rather avoid.
- Never plug strips into other strips. Chaining power strips is one of the fastest ways to get an electrical fire, hands-down. We’re not going to tell you how to do your thing, but this is just a really silly problem that has cost a lot of businesses and homeowners loads of cash in damages.
- Don’t use them for too long! At their core, these devices are meant as a stopgap. They aren’t really intended for long-term use, especially power strips instead of surge protectors. Seek a long-term solution while you use your strip!
OUTLET INSTALLATION: THE BEST OPTION
If you need more access to power, there’s a better way to get it done! Your friends at Volt Electrical are here to help, and we can install new, safe outlets anywhere you need them. It’s a much safer, stronger, and more effective option. Plus, it’ll last forever.
At Volt Electrical Services, we are a Central Florida based firm specializing in electrical design and installation. We are committed to innovative designs, sustainable solutions, and high-quality services. Our experience presents a company that is highly qualified to complete projects varying in scope, size, and complexity. To ensure the highest level of quality and reliability, we focus our services on core market areas that reflect our strengths and talent.
If you are looking for a dependable commercial electrician, please feel free to contact us today. We would love the opportunity to speak with you further, answer any questions you may have, and potentially develop a plan to completely equip your business with all of their outlet and lighting needs!